Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A breif history of the last few months

Well since this is my first blog(How exciting) I thought I would give who ever is reading this a background story about my life leading up to this point. This will outline my work history and what was a pretty disastrous time for me over the last few months.

I am a 22 year old IT Project Manager working for a top fortune 50 company in Melbourne, Australia. It has been a long road to get to that point at such a young age but all I can say is my hard work has prevailed.

I have just been through what I would consider some of the toughest months of my life from Dec 06 - Mar 07. One act of stupidity cost me the majority of what I valued in my life. I drunk drove, blew 0.15 after crashing heavily into the concrete barrier on the Monash Freeway. I had my license immediately suspended and still six months later I am waiting to hear back from the court to find out how long I have lost it for. This also wrote my car off putting me $7000 out of pocket. 5 days later I got fired from my job because they wrongly believed that to be effective in my job I needed a license. 1 stupid decision that I can not remember making turned my life upside down.

From that moment on I spent the next 3 months desperately looking for work dealing with pretentious recruiters who had no idea how to look for IT staff yet thought they knew everything. Somehow I managed to get passed this people on many occasions to the clients interviewer where 9/10 the problem was either that I was too young or too inexperienced to do the jobs even though they involved half the amount of work that I was doing in my previous job, or they had issue with the fact that I got fired from my last job because I lost my license.

Finally I found interviewer that looked past the fact that I was young and did not have a license. They gave me the chance to perform which I have. I have already taken on more projects above and beyond what I was hired to do.

That horrible chapter was finally closed.

Prior to all this drama I was an IT manager at Kings Transport where I personally ran the entire IT systems for 300 users. I had 4 staff under me and I ran the majority of the IT projects within the company, doing everything from website designs, software development and building moves. It was the most intense 18 months of my life and even with a sour ending I am very greatful that it happened.

I started at Kings in the June of 2005 as a System Administrator, and through what was a series of good fortune for myself everyone above me kept leaving the company which basically meant that I got promoted very quickly. I was often working 60 hour weeks as IT manager which basically meant that I got burnt out very quickly.

Before I worked at Kings I was a manager at KFC in Rowville. I started there when I was 15 and worked my way up through the ranks until I was a manager. I spent a total of 6 years there from 1999 to 2005. While for the majority of the time I was a manager I really did not enjoy the job, it was a great learning experience that taught me heaps. I continue to draw on my experience from this time and would recommend working at fast food outlets to all teenagers.

My social life at the moment I must admit is pretty boring, I love to go out and drink lots and dance at clubs however many of my friends work right through the weekend so often if I really want to go out I need to go by myself. It makes life hard going by yourself but I do always manage to have a really good time out.